1. Use FIRST, THEN language and acknowledge what your child wants (Yes, I’m listening!)
- I know you want [candy][to play]. First, eat your dinner, then you can [have candy][play]
2. Remind your child WHAT he/she should be doing right now, and then give CHOICES
- It’s time for bed. You can decide though – you can [have candy][play] either right when you get home from school tomorrow, or after you finish tomorrow’s homework
3. Work as a TEAM to come up with a solution
- [Candy][Playing with paint] is only for special occasions. Let’s think of a way you can earn it.